Monday, January 30, 2012

Paleo Day 1

Ok. So I officially started yesterday afternoon...but today is the first *real* full day. My vitamin shipment is on it's way and should arrive within the next two days (exciting!) I can't wait to have more energy.

But not even 3 meals into it, last night I had a carb craving. Ack! I managed to eat lunch and dinner with no gluten and no added sugar. Ok I know you all are so excited to see the Paleo chef in me- here's what I had

LUNCH- 2 eggs, beans (this is before I got the memo that beans are bad? Still researching this...I don't know if I fully believe it), cooked in olive oil with apples and peanut butter. (yum!)

DINNER- A whole bunch of kale chips! (I like sprinkling yeast flakes and olive oil on mine!), then I sauteed mushrooms and onions with veggie broth to make a soup.
*about an hour after this I had a massive carb attack. I ate a brown cow yogurt and it helped (I know it's dairy, but a step at a time, right?)

BREAKFAST- I feel really happy about today. I had 2 eggs scrambled with spinach, apples with peanut butter (I have a feeling this may be a staple for me), blueberries and a couple pieces of lunch meat.


Upon further investigation, I have deduced that I should probably research more on the Paleo Diet. I know I should eat mostly greens...nuts and meat, but I have all these questions. In what proportions should I make these? What veggies are better than others? Should I avoid some nuts while going all out on others? What about red meats? Is there any truth on them being bad for you?

Sariah and I were talking yesterday and she was saying how there is so much *misinformation* out there on dieting techniques. Who's advise should I actually follow? My dieting books, my cook books, my coach (that would be me! haha..), my doctor...what???? It's all very confusing.

But dang it. I am determined.

I did come across something inspirational, though. I am reading the book "Coming up Country" by John McPhee and he talks about the natives in NW Alaska and how healthy they are. Convinced that the "white man" food is bad for them (cakes, cookies, Twinkies etc) they believe that the only way to health is by eating the same way they have for centuries. Everything, I mean EVERYTHING is focused around their fishing and hunting. Caribou, salmon, whitefish, trout, moose...and they use EVERYTHING that they kill. Not really a surprise if you think about it, but I am thinking they have it right. Not thinking. Knowing.

It's sad...not all Native Americans believe this. One look at the obesity, alcoholism and diabetic nature of the Paiutes is enough to make me a sad....but that's another topic entirely.

Anyways, I'll bet anything that the natives of NW AK don't have muffin tops! Now...to take that *before* picture....

3 comments:

  1. very proud of you Jess! And I totally back you, a greek yogurt is so much better for you then a roll or brownie :)
    Here are some good sites that are totally worth bookmarking!
    http://www.robbwolf.com/tools/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-primal-supplementation/#axzz1kyldJLPJ
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com//welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/#axzz1kyldJLPJ
    http://paleodietlifestyle.com/
    http://paleomg.com/

    Also, when I went paleo breakfast food became my best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks sariah :) this is HARD and I'm only on day 1!!! I've already had 2 craving lmao. I ate some bananas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and thanks for the links :D very insightful and helpful!

    ReplyDelete